Monday, August 15, 2011

Goodbye Tally

I have never really experienced the death of a pet, when I was a kid we always got rid our pet before that time came.  It definitely hurts.

I brought her home to Matt one afternoon my freshman year in college.  I went to Walmart and as I was getting in my car there was a man giving away puppies.  I went to look and grabbed the last female of the bunch.  She was so cute.  When I got back to Matt's apartment I told him I had something to tell him, he thought I had wrecked his car.  No just a puppy.

She really was the best dog a person could ask for, hardly ever barked, was really friendly, and great with the boys.  It was funny the day we brought Braxton home this past November, we were sitting in the living room and down the hall she came.  Took one look at Braxton and turned around and went right back down the hall.  All Matt and I could do was laugh, it was like she was saying not this again.

About three years ago we brought her in to get two tumors removed from her leg, the dr didn't think it was anything.  They did her pre-op bloodwork and it came back bad, her liver enzymes were too low to operate.  The vet was afraid if she put her under she would never wake up.  We did a x-ray to see what was wrong and it should some damage to the liver but without more test she couldn't tell us for sure what it was.  We decided not to do additional testing.

In the past year things have slowly gone down hill.  From the outside she was a lively dog, for 12.5 years, but on the inside things weren't right.  Over the past couple months she had become withdrawal from us.  She hated being away from us but when we were home she didn't really want to be with us. 

After Matt brought her the the vet last week to discuss the problems she had been having we decided it was the time.  He brought her home so we could have a couple more days with her.  Then this evening he brought her in to be put down.  I didn't think I would be so sad but I am.  You get very close to your pet after spending 12.5 years with her.  It make me sad to think Braxton will never remember, I hope that both Nathan and Liam do.  She was there first pet and a great one.  Goodbye Tally.

No comments:

Post a Comment